Caramel Apple Pork Chops
I know this may sound gross to some of you but hear me out... Kids love it because it feels like you're sneaking dessert in with their entree. Give it a try. You'll love it.
4 thick pork chops (3/4" each)
2 tart apples (Granny Smith for example), peeled, cored and sliced
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp canola oil
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 tbsp toasted or candied pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 min., turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the pre-heated oven.
3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Add butter to the skillet and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the pre-heated oven.
5. Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. Sprinkle with pecans.