Lighter Beef in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
1 lb lean beef boneless sirloin steak (about 1/2" thick)
3 cups hot cooked mostaccioli
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
3 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 oz)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup brandy or water
1 tsp low-sodium beef bouillon
2 tbsp non-fat sour cream
3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
2 tbsp corn starch
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1. Stir corn starch into water and set aside.
2. Trim excess fat from beef steak. Cut beef into thin strips, about 1 1/2" x 1/2".
3. Spray 10" skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
4. Cook onion, garlic, salt and pepper in skillet about 3 min., stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Stir in beef and bell pepper. Cook about 4 min., stirring frequently until beef is no longer pink.
5. Stir in the mushrooms. Then add brandy/water to skillet and sprinkle bouillon over beef mixture. Heat to boiling then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 min.
6. Stir in sour cream gently being careful to break it. Then stir in corn starch mixture. Cook over medium-high heat about 2 min., stirring frequently, until thickened.
7. To finish, stir in the chives. Serve over the mostaccioli.