Gulyás (Authentic Hungarian Goulash)
2 tbsp oil
3 medium onions, medium dice
2 green peppers, medium dice
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 3/4 lbs. stew beef, cut in 1" cubes
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 cups red wine
2 tomatoes, diced
1. Saute onions and peppers in oil in a dutch oven or large fry pan until slightly softened. Remove and set aside.
2. Season meat with salt and pepper and add to saute pan. Brown nicely on add sides.
3. Add back in the onions and peppers to the pan. Add the garlic, paprika, cumin wine and enough water to cover.
4. Let simmer for 1 hour, adding water if necessary. The meat should stay covered with liquid.
5. 15 minutes before serving add the diced tomatoes and mix to get them incorporated in the dish.