1 cup whole unblanched almonds
3 pkg (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips OR 1 lb white chocolate candy pieces
2 tbsp solid vegetable shortening
1. Spread almonds out on a baking pan and toast in a pre-heated (350 degrees) oven for about 8 min., shaking pan occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. Line a rimmed 10" x 15" pan with wax paper, covering bottom and sides of pan.
3. Place chocolate chips or candy pieces in the top of a double boiler. Add shortening and stir over barely-simmering water just until mixture begins to melt.
4. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted. Stir in the toasted almonds.
5. Turn mixture into pan and spread to distribute nuts evenly. Level pan out smoothly by dropping pan onto counter several times from a height of about 8 inches.
6. Refrigerate candy just until firm. Break into pieces before serving. To store cover airtight and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Makes about 1 1/4 lb.